Ten Terrifying Sleep Disorders:
- Exploding Head Syndrome: People suffering from this are awoken an hour or two after falling asleep by a loud noise from their mind. Ranging from a gunshot to a scream, researchers still aren’t sure what causes it.
- Kleine-Levin Syndrome: This rare disease that causes sufferers to oversleep for up to 20 hours a day has been linked to appetite. There is no known cure.
- Sleep Paralysis: While either waking or falling asleep, the sufferer feels completely unable to move. Linked to anxiety disorders, narcolepsy, migraines, and obstructed sleep apnea, they often feel as if someone menacing is hovering over them or physically holding them down.
- Fatal Familial Insomnia: This extremely rare version of insomnia is fatal, as the name suggests, for those suffering. Death usually occurs within six to 32 months after symptoms arise. This condition impairs the thalamus in your brain and can also cause hallucinations and loss of motor function. It is hereditary, children of sufferers being 50 percent more likely to develop the disorder.
- Sexsomnia: Similar to sleep walking, those suffering from this disorder are able to perform sexual activity without realizing it while still asleep. It is more common in those already suffering from sleep walking.
- Non-24-Hour Sleep–Wake Disorder: Sufferers of this disorder feel as if they are in a constant state of jet lag, constantly feeling “out of it.” They are dealing with a longer circadian rhythm which causes a 25 or 26 hour sleep/awake cycle and is common among the blind.
- Narcolepsy: This disorder is caused by an autoimmune destruction of hypocretin-producing neurons in the brain disrupting the regulation of a person’s sleep/awake cycle. As a result, they are prone to falling asleep without warning at any time of day.
- Somnambulistic Eating: A nocturnal sleep-related eating disorder, sufferers don’t realize they’re spending their evenings eating second and third dinners until the eventual and unexplainable weight gain.
- REM-Sleep Behavior Disorder: Occurring during rapid-eye movement when your dreams are most vivid, this causes the sufferer to unconsciously physically act out what is happening their dreams. This type of parasomnia is thankfully treatable.
- Unexpected Nocturnal Death Syndrome: This phenomena of literally sleeping yourself to death occurs mostly in young men and is more common in Southeast Asian areas. The cause is unknown, but some believe the victims’ hearts skip a beat and never start back up.
"Walktopus" Octopus Candle Holder by Scott Musgrove
A girl in my science class drew Anna and Elsa on the white board and I… Well I kind of had a defensive melt down.
It involved me drawing a big picture of Hiccup next to them and writing in capital letters “HTTYD IS BETTER THAN FROZEN”…
This is precisely why I have no friends.
There’s a deceptively still body of water in Tanzania with a deadly secret—it turns any animal it touches to stone. The rare phenomenon is caused by the chemical makeup of the lake, but the petrified creatures it leaves behind are straight out of a horror film.
Lake Natron, a saline lake in northern Tanzania near the border with Kenya, is anything but paradise. In fact, most wildlife knows to avoid it because of how harsh conditions are there. The lake takes its name from natron, a naturally occurring compound made mainly of sodium carbonate, with a bit of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) thrown in. Here, this has come from volcanic ash, accumulated from the Great Rift valley. Animals that become immersed in the water die and are calcified.
"Scorpio being insulted"
Tiny Frog - Amazon Rainforest, Peru
This frog has absolutely no business being this tiny.
Fuck you, frog! How dare you be this small!
it’s too small!!
Don’t listen, frog! YOU BE AS TINY AS YOU WANT TO BE
Map of World Mythology
Whaddaya think, guys?
Simple, but pretty!